English Language > Writing > Writing to inform, explain and describe
Writing to inform: example
Read through the following recipe and spot the techniques which are specific to writing to inform.
Chocolate chip cookies recipe
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Chop the chocolate into chunks and put to one side.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan gently until it has melted. Meanwhile, put the two types of sugar into a mixing bowl. Pour the melted butter on top of the sugar and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixing bowl and stir them in, then add the chopped chocolate.
- Dot heaped pudding spoonfuls of the mixture over the lined baking sheets.
- Wearing oven gloves, put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are just turning golden brown.
- Leave them to harden for a couple of minutes before eating.
Identify the informative features in this recipe
|Short, clear sentences|
|Reader addressed as 'you'|