Informing gives objective factual information. Explaining gives reasons for how or why something happens. Describing tries to paint a vivid picture in the reader's head.
Imagine this scenario: You feel ill and go to see a doctor.
Which of the following is informing, explaining or describing?
- Describing - telling the doctor how you feel.
- Informing - the doctor gives you the facts.
- Explaining - the doctor explains what a cold is and tells you more about it.
These areas do overlap, but you should keep in mind that:
- information is factual
- explanation is factual, but with more detail
- description is usually about how something makes you feel