- To throw some light upon – to give importance on sb.
- Hard lines – to be unexpectedly in unviable position.
- To receive with open arms – to welcome cordially
- To step into dead man’s shoes – to come into inheritance who died.
- To plough a lonely furrow – to hold a view opposed to all your assets.
- To win the day – to become successful.
- To have a bone to pick with someone – to find out an issue to quarrel.
- In for a penny, in for a pound – since I am to attend to a little, I might as well attend a lot.